Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tomorrow is a big day!

Chemotherapy round #5 is complete!  Five down, seven to go.  I even got my long run in on Sunday -- cut a 10-miler down to 7.7 just due to dehydration and fatigue from the chemo, but it was great to get out on the road again.  I bought a new pair of Asics Gel Kayano 14s at the Big Sur Marathon Expo, and so far they're outstanding.  I've been wearing Kayanos since the 10s almost five years ago, and they just keep getting better.

One brief question -- it's time to replace my old Nike Triax Elite, and I'm looking at the Garmin ForeRunner 405...any feedback?  Does anyone out there have or use one?  Heard anything?  RW Reviews only go up to the 305.  Momo, you use a Garmin, don't you?

Anyway, on to more important news.  Every six months, I have a brain scan, then travel down to the Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles for consultations with a neuro-radiologist, neurosurgeon, and neuro-oncologist.
I had my brain scan on Wednesday -- I haven't seen the results yet, but here's what my last one looked like:
You're looking from the bottom up, so the sides are reversed, but you can see an obvious hole (a good friend likes to call it a "divot") where the right frontal lobe has been basically removed -- the result of my two brain surgeries in 2001 and 2005.  Well, toward the back of the cavity left by the surgeries is a lump of bright, white tissue...that's what they're concerned about.  It's only about 0.5cm, whereas both of my tumors were close to 3cm, so it's not big enough for surgery -- but if it gets any bigger, we'll have a problem.  

So, your thoughts and prayers will be very welcome over the next day or two.  Tomorrow will culminate the last six months of chemo treatments, and I really hope it hasn't been for naught. If so, we'll take the next step -- and I know you'll all be running alongside me, whatever the result is.  

7 comments:

Brooke said...

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your journey with us. When people ask me why I want to be an Oncology nurse I tell them it's because of people like you. People with a story, hopes, dreams ect. Cancer is not the death sentance everyone thinks it is. There are fighters there.

Praying for you.

jkhenson said...

You've definitely got my prayers!! Way to go on the long run!!

Carrie said...

Praying for a good picture!

JoeVic said...

Today started out really bad for me. I've suffered from skin cancer for over 10 years. Had multiple leisions removed, part of my ear removed, shoulder etc. I'm the fair haired blue eyed poster child for sun block. But today was the worst yet. I have to have the end of my nose removed due to the cancer. A dog ear is one thing, spots and scars are another, but to know you're face is going to be disfigured to a certain degree is pretty scary and depressing. Will my children even recognize me afterward? Will my wife still want me? Stupid questions I know, but I'm human.

So 20 minutes after the call, I started looking for sources of inspiration and motivation. My family, my children, my military background, my damn stubborn tendencies. But even then I was disheartened.

Fortunately for me I was looking at Jkrunnings site today and saw your link there. You're story really put my little pathetic doubts and fears to shame. So I want to thank you. I want to thank you for showing me real courage and perserverance in the face of overwhelming obstacles.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and yours from now on.

Joe E

momo said...

thinking about you and sending many, many prayers that the news tomorrow is GOOD.

regarding the garmin, yep - i have 305 and i love it. although, i haven't even begun to make use of all of its bells and whistles. i hear the 405 is awesome, but from what i understand, it doesn't have the multisport option although for a runner, that's ok, right? either way - the garmin is great. heart rate, pace, total time, temperature, averages, elevation, etc, etc. you'll love it.

Donald said...

Wow. I'll hope and pray for the best for you, also. Good luck.

Cliff said...

Michael,

Thanks for yoru comment. I heard of John MacArthur. In fact i got a book on my b-day from him. It is about leadership.

I pray for you and your operation. Keep up the fight :)