Sunday, May 11, 2008

Reasons for Running

If you've been following my blog for long (it's only been around a few weeks), you'll see in my sidebar that my next big race is the Seattle Marathon in November.  Now, this should generate one obvious question -- who would schedule a marathon in Seattle in November, one of the most dismal, dreary, and miserable months of the year?  In general, most normal runners don't like running in conditions like uphill, into the wind, in the wet, and/or in the cold -- basically, Big Sur -- but Seattle is a close second.  So, why run Seattle?  

I want to tell you about my friend JD.  Now, I have known JD since the fourth grade, when his father and mine were stationed together at a small outpost called Camp Walker in South Korea (eating ice cream after playing soccer -- JD is standing, I'm the one with the wristbands. Trust me, they were cool then):
We were next-door neighbors, and did almost everything together -- played soccer, played Dungeons and Dragons, had sleepovers, the works.  Through the years, our friendship has changed and grown, but we're still as close as we were in the fourth grade -- and in 2000, JD was the Best Man in my wedding.  
JD was never a small guy.  At least, he was always bigger than me -- taller, stronger, and so forth.  The problem was, as he got older and started working harder and caring for his family, he just kept getting...well...bigger:
Being a senior executive at Microsoft and a workaholic didn't help, neither did genetics.  Last Thanksgiving, JD decided to try losing some weight...then, this past New Year's Eve, JD -- at 36 -- nearly had a heart attack, resulting in an ambulance ride to the emergency room, and a diagnosis of atrial fibrulation, a condition often caused by obesity.  The condition continued, happening sometimes multiple times in a day, resulting in three cardiology visits in six weeks.  Doctors then discovered a mitral valve prolapse, and a left ventricular hypertrophy -- combined, the conditions paint a scary picture of heart condition.  So, JD made a commitment that many of us have made -- get in shape, and lose weight.  A LOT of weight.

By March, JD had lost 72 pounds, at which point he and I had a long talk.  He talked about his wife and two beautiful children, and how the New Year's Eve episode had scared him more than he had been able to express -- especially with regard to his children.  In the photo above, he tipped the scales at 320+ pounds -- and his goal was to 100 pounds by summer, which would take him back to size he was when I knew him in high school.  You've done the math by now -- radical change in diet, exercise, and lifestyle -- and dropping 100+ pounds in about six months.  It seemed impossible, but with dedication and the watchful eye of a physician and nutritionist, he thought he could do it -- but was concerned that he wouldn't be able to keep it off.  So, I told him -- if he met his goal of losing 100 pounds, I'd come out to Seattle and run the marathon in his honor, raising money for his favorite charity -- but he had to run it with me. It would give him a goal to work toward, and help keep the weight off -- and we'd get to spend 26 miles telling great stories about the pranks we pulled on each other 25 years ago.  

By April, he had lost 95 pounds.  About a week ago, JD called to tell me that he had accepted my challenge -- to run a marathon -- and that he had met his goal, and sent this pic:
Yep, that's the same guy -- 100 pounds lighter.  So, the game is on -- and I'm heading to Seattle to reconnect with an old friend, honor his accomplishment, and toast his success.  

We all run for different reasons.  Some run to get in shape, some run for fun, some are social runners, some run for competition, some run just to get outside.  I run to beat cancer, and to inspire people.  So, what inspires someone who runs just to inspire others?  JD does.  Way to go, JD.  See you in November.

5 comments:

Donald said...

What a cool transformation your friend had! And how cool of you to encourage it.

Brooke said...

That's awesome. Good for you for giving him a reason to continue.

Alili said...

Wow, what a transformation! How awesome that you can inspire each other.

jen said...

Hi Michael, thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

I started with this post and WOW what an awesome achievement for your buddy. That's amazing! Congrats to him and good for you supporting him along the way. I bet you're a great healthy role model to him.

Then I caught up on your previous posts and an even bigger WOW!! You have had quite a journey with your cancer fight and I'm inspired by your continuous kicking of its butt! :D I can't wait to read through as you finish your chemo and once again, and this time for GOOD, beat cancer. :) Keep up the good work man!

Joanna said...

James looks awesome, the great looking guy I remember! What a great friend you are, Michael to encourage him that way. Makes me want to do everything I can to be there and cheer you both on!