Saturday, May 31, 2008

The New Normal

Two quick things to start:

First, thanks to all of you who were so encouraging with regard to my swim times and my "Iron Dreams."  Thanks to you, they're still alive!  

Second, I apologize for dropping off the map for a week or two...if you are or have been in the military, or if you're a dependent like Momo and JK, you know that every few summers is PCS (Permanent Change of Station) season!  Yep, that's me.  I'm headed to the Pentagon in about three weeks, and I just got back from taking Pooh and Monkey over.  I'm back just to pack up the house, graduate, grab the cat and the car, and head out behind them.  I've been repeating to myself, "Don't forget the cat, don't forget the cat, don't forget the cat..." for several weeks now.  I flew back on Monday, and sat in the empty house for a while just thinking...what did I used to DO when I was single?  How did I use up all this time?  MAN, it's quiet in here...there was a baby three or four rows back who cried for almost the entire flight from Denver, and it was strangely comforting...who would have thought I'd find comfort in a crying baby?

So it's been a bit hectic around here lately.  Not to mention that I started chemotherapy (again) this week.  Round number six...four days in, and I feel absolutely miserable.  I wish I had a better report, but that's the truth.  Woke up about 4:45am this morning with terrible nausea and cramping, and fought it for about six hours -- only started feeling better just a few minutes ago.  Doesn't help to be going through it solo, with my support structure (Pooh) and my beautiful baby girl absent.  Fortunately, we have a tremendous support structure through the church and through friends, who have done everything from shopping to making meals and watching the cat while we were gone.  Thank God for friends!

So, the trip to Los Angeles last month has brought with it a realization.  As long as my wife and I have been fighting this cancer battle, our hope has been that we would beat it and go back to our normal life.  This disease is an obstacle, like the wall at 20 miles, that we just need to push through so we can win.  Once we "fix this," we can go back to normal.  Well, we've recently had to rethink our approach.  Coming up on 10 years of fighting, including two brain surgeries and 18 (so far) rounds of chemotherapy, with many more to come, we both realize...there is no "going back" to our other life.  This does not appear to be a situation where we "beat it" and go back to normal.  On the contrary, this is the new normal.  Cancer will be a part of our lives now and in the future.  Even if we beat it (a third time), it will still be there, hovering overhead, lurking in the back of our minds at every annual checkup.  Once you face a foe this formidable, you can never go back to what you thought was your "normal" life.  You find that "normal" just changes.  

I'll make it through this round, and the next one.  And the next.  The neuro-oncologist mentioned records of folks staying on chemotherapy for as long as five years -- and if that's what's in store, so be it.  Bring it on.  Faith, family, and friends -- including the "extended family" of bloggers -- will carry me through.  Thanks for all your support...and welcome to The New Normal.  Anyone up for a run?

13 comments:

jkhenson said...

Hang in there, lots of prayers are headed your way. Wow, a move added to the mix! You have one full plate! Sending hugs to and prayers for all three of you-wherever you may be!!

Lauren Starks said...

Sending lots of prayers your way!

faithrunner said...

Take comfort in knowing that God has a bigger plan than we can see, far greater than we know. I pray you and your family can hold on tight as you go through this roller coaster ride. Keep the faith. :)

jen said...

Great post. I like that perspective. It's hard to keep waiting for all the good stuff to start... I know things will get better, but maybe this will allow you to enjoy some stuff that's happening now that you've overlooked. Life is always various levels of good and bad. :) Good luck with the rest of the move! :)

Donald said...

Good luck with all your changes, Michael. Keep on fighting!

Alili said...

You give such an amazing perspective. You are incredibly strong; the kind of person I would want as a friend. Silly right?! Since we have no idea who the other is?

My hubby and I have you in our thoughts and prayers. Safe journey.

Brooke said...

after 2 weeks of not running, I am definately ready for one.

I hope the move is a smooth one, we are in store this time next year. I don't think they ever get easier.

jkhenson said...

Hope all is going well! Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you three and hoping all is positive!

streak said...

I'm up for a run, I'll let you lead! Sending lots of prayers and positive vibes your way.

jen said...

Hey you, just checkin in, hope everything is ok. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you! :) Take care.

Alili said...

I've been wondering about you-hope everything is ok.

Carrie said...

How's the move?

Adrienne said...

Constant prayers for you. my friend. God is so good-
So grateful to be a part of your life and this amazing journey.