Monday, November 10, 2008

Hell Week

Just a short post today -- "Hell Week" is over!  For the uninitiated, "Hell Week" is the training week that usually falls 2 - 3 weeks prior to race day, where you're at maximum mileage, usually without any rest days...well, Hell Week culminated yesterday with a 20-something mile run, and ended today with my first rest day in what feels like forever.  

Despite my tendonitis fears, everything went perfectly.  I got started late, so ended up running half of it in the dark (which isn't good for me), but I felt great for the entire run.  My pace was a bit off -- 20.12 miles in 2:46.09 (about 8:14/mile), rather than the sub-8 pace I like to keep -- but I felt great the entire race, and even managed a 7:32 mile at mile 19, and 7:46 mile at mile 20.  Even at 8:14, that's still about a 3:35 marathon in Seattle...we're on track, and now...the three words many marathoners (or marathoners-in-training) live for...

IT'S TAPER TIME!

5 comments:

Kevin Westbrook said...

Congrats on your week! My first hell week is this week. My goal is to not get taken away in an ambulance. Looks like you didn't so good job!

Good luck on your marathon!

Peter Ogle said...

Hi Michael: I saw the article in Runner's World, and wanted to check in. I too am a Christian, a runner, and a cancer survivor (stage 3 melanoma). I guess that makes us brothers three times over. Thanks for the blog. Lots of great insight into both faith and running. I'm also blogging, which is way more fun than chemo. Blessings to you and your family. Peter.

jen said...

Hi! I hope you are enjoying your taper and the increased rest time. Did you have a nice Thanksgiving? I know you have a lot to be thankful for (don't we all!) with that sweet little baby! :)

Great job on your last long run! I think you can do 3:35 in Seattle this weekend, is that your goal? I can't remember if it's 3:35 or 3:45... I'm going for 3:35 in Sacramento so I say we both do that. :) Hehe

I'll be thinking of you this weekend, I know you'll have a great day! Can't wait to hear all about it.

jen said...

Gah! I just realized the marathon was yesterday! Sorry! I hope it went well.. going to see if I can stalk.. I mean, track down your results. :)

jen said...

Ok, sorry to bombard you here, but I found your results, and CONGRATS!! You did it!! Great run Michael. Can't wait to hear the details. :) I'll be channelling your strength next weekend at my race.