Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm Back!

After six weeks of daily IV antibiotic treatments, I'm DONE. Finally. The good news is that the infectious disease docs think the infection is on the run, I've had the stitches removed, and the incision looks great. As you can see below, my profile still leaves a lot to be desired -- but that will all be fixed with some plastic surgery in December/January to rebuild my skull. The reconstructive surgery itself carries some pretty significant risks, but I won't bore you with those details. Here's the great profile shot:

Well, looks were never my strong suit anyway...and it makes Halloween easy...and GEICO has already contacted me about doing some commercials (just kidding).


I feel fine, and am even slowly starting back to work. Most importantly, the central line (PICC) was removed, which means I can run again! Yes, after, six weeks of sitting on my derriere, I laced 'em up again a few weeks ago. I sure didn't set any land speed records, but was able to run an easy four miles at 8:55 pace...much slower and shorter than my usual Sunday run, but it felt great just to be on the road again (thanks Willie Nelson). The challenge now is to run the half-marathon -- and finish with dignity -- next weekend. I usually train 16 weeks for a marathon, and at least 8 - 12 for a half-marathon...and somehow I'm going to give it a shot after only four weeks of training. I had my last long run today, and did 10.3 at about 8:15 pace. I'm definitely not going to meet my goal of breaking 1:30 for the half, but I'll at least finish. Stay tuned for the race report...it should be an interesting one! I've also registered for the Richmond Half-Marathon on November 14th, so maybe I'll be sub-1:30 by that time, but that's still pushing it.


Many of you who have contributed will be happy to hear that the helmet is truly a work of art. I've added stickers from Washington, Oregon, Texas, Kentucky, and Ohio, as well as a very special one from New Zealand (thanks !) and a few others. I also added a monkey, of course! Sticker count is now up to 30, with room remaining...though I did receive one Texas sticker that was bigger than the helmet itself...not sure what to do with that one. So, here's how it looks right now:


Your support and encouragement has been instrumental in my recovery -- thanks to everyone! Another blog soon, I promise...

3 comments:

Sue said...

So you do know the one with the curly head sticker is from Pro triathlete Kate Major from Aussie Land:) I shall share your link with her..Off to Kona on Friday...thanks for the update..you have been on my mind...cheers from Idaho

jen said...

Thanks for the update!! Wow that is some profile. I can't believe you are already back running. Oh wait, yes I can. :) Good luck at the half and keep the updates coming! Stay strong and thanks for being such a fantastic human being. I'm a fan. :)

Ace said...

Run a half-marathon that you are under trained for. Check. Do it this weekend. Check. Finish with dignity. Easy for you to say. :) (But I'll do my best).

Awesome to hear how things are going and that you are running! Rock on!